Hosting and buying domain names does come with it own problems. One of these problems is that you don’t have any privacy. Anyone can see who owns a domain and this leads to a number of issues. You can be harassed by readers if you are running a controversial blog or spammed by spammers in a never ending spam nightmare.
There is a solution! It is best to hide your privacy online for your domain. This can be done by two types of services. If you have a domain with Godaddy then you can use their service called Domains by Proxy. If you have a domain name from NameCheap then you can hold the domain under their privacy service called Who is Guard. These services hide your email, name and address from the public. This also stops spammers from using the ‘Who Is’ public directory as a means to spam everyone.
What happens with Who Is Guard:
- Replace your postal address with their postal address.
- Replace your phone number and fax number with their phone and fax numbers.
- Replace your email address with a uniquely-generated “email@example.com” email address. Every email that is sent to the WhoisGuard address is forwarded to the email address you want it sent to.
Note that you cannot uses this services on the following domain extensions as yet. They are asia, bz, ca, cn, co.uk, de, eu, li, ch, fr, sg, com.sg, in, me.uk, nu, org.uk, us, es, com.es, nom.es,org.es, com.au, net.au and org.au domain.
- Reduces spam
- Protects from identity theft and telemarketers
- One year FREE with new domain registrations and transfers
- Low Price
- Reusable (Move from one domain to another)
These are the options when you use Who is Guard from NameCheap which is a very service for the first year only on the domain name you either bought or transferred to NameCheap. The service is rather cheap afterwards at $2.88 per domain per year as listed below. Note that there is not normally a domain discount for this service.